Emile Coue

Forum dedicated to discussing Coue's method
Follow us on: FacebookTwitter
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Scope of the Coue Method
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:22 pm 

Thank you, rag. It's good to know that I don't fall into any of the three categories that you mentioned; hence mastery of the Coue method is not beyond my capabilities. I think that the biggest challenge for me is having absolute faith in what I'm doing and the results that will be produced. Sometimes, negative thoughts have a tendency to spontaneously arise in my mind, even though I don't want them. Perhaps like anything else, it takes practice to become proficient at consistently applying the Coue method.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:38 am 
Site Admin

antoinette wrote:
.... I think that the biggest challenge for me is .....

Well "challenge" means use of our Concious which must be set aside when using autosuggestion. When you see the result you'll automatically get faith in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 am 

Yes, I need to simply let go and let the subconscious mind do its magic. Thinking too much will only interfere with the process. Taking that into consideration, would you say that when musicians focus on the physical aspects of playing, they are actually interfering with the subconscious mind? Instead of trusting the subconscious mind to provide the means necessary to execute the music, they are consciously trying to regulate what their physical apparatuses are doing. Some musicians have advocated simply focusing on the emotional content of the music, and allowing the technique (the physical process) to happen on its own- as a natural result of the music. Perhaps that is consistent with Coue's philosophy, as it focuses on a result (a specific musical sound or interpretation that you imagine) and trusts the subconscious mind to provide the means necessary (i.e. the physical process) to achieve the result.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 am 
Site Admin

But it could be practicing your hands for music. Proper movements of hands must be practiced or trained.
To learn Guitar, it'll be foolish to simply rely on unconscious to train one to play it, without doing proper training.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 am 

In that case, perhaps proper movement training needs to be done in conjunction with correct imagination. If you imagine yourself playing perfectly, then the physical movements that you select might automatically be conducive to realizing your imagined ideal. However, is there the risk that despite your imagination, you may consciously choose physical movements that are inefficient and counterproductive (as they come from your conscious mind)?