Emile Coue

Forum dedicated to discussing Coue's method
Follow us on: FacebookTwitter
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scope of the Coue Method
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:05 am 

I have read many books that are derived from Coue's method, declaring that the subconscious mind has infinite power and can accomplish anything that you want it to accomplish. Only recently did I learn that all of those books are based on Coue's ideology.

Can the Coue method truly accomplish anything, or are there limits to what results it can effect? For example, if a pianist wants to play like Horowitz, could that be accomplished solely through postive affirmation? Can a person affirm that he or she will play like Horowitz, envision the event happening, have full inner conviction that he or she will play like Horowitz, and then succeed? In other words, can a person become a great pianist simply by believing that he or she is a great pianist and without engaging in any hard work? Or is traditional practice (many hours of it) necessary for musical artistry?

Joseph Murphy, whose ideas are clearly derived from the Coue method, claimed that sweat and hard labor are not necessary for greatness. He said that you simply need to plant the idea of greatness in your subconscious mind, and then the inner power of the subconscious will necessarily make you great. Murphy claimed that you do not need to think about any method for greatness; you simply need to focus on the end result (greatness) and allow the subconscious mind to supply the correct means (which may be beyond your conscious knowledge) to you.

Share on FacebookShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Scope of the Coue Method
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Yes when you know the "trick" you can do as you've mentioned. But it should be within realms of possibility. If your hand is cut, by using Coue's method you can't make it grow. But yes you can become almost like or better than Horowitz.

I want to highlight a cure from Emile Coue: a girl was miserable in her studies and had failed in her class. After meeting with Coue she went on to top her class.

I also want to highlight a quote from "How to Practice Autosuggestion" by C. Harry Brooks, 1922:
Quote:
The champion golfer or tennis player is not a person of herculean frame and immense will-power. His whole life has been dominated by the thought of success in the game at which he excels.

Note: Coue's immense success is due to driving away of "sweat and hard labor" or any sort of effort while using autosuggestion. Any use of effort is doomed to fail in 100% of cases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm 

Thank you, anurag. So you are saying that it would be counterproductive for a musician to attempt to analyze the physical process involved in playing (as many pedagogues insist that you must), as one should merely trust the subconscious mind to provide the means necessary for virtuosity and artistry? If I understand correctly, meditating and affirming that one is a great pianist will accomplish much more than practicing the piano will accomplish. If the postive affirmations are geuinely believed, then you should be able to play exactly how you want to play without even practicing. Perhaps that explains how Mozart was able to compose so easily: he probably applied the concepts of the Coue method long before Coue even discovered them.

Coue believed that all effort is doomed to fail? In that case, how would one account for many successful individuals who insist that they had to work extremely hard in order to obtain a high level of proficiency? For example, Vincent Bugliosi, the greatest American prosecutor, insisted that lots of sweat and tedious preparation is necessary to become a great lawyer.

Also, how frequently should positive affirmations be said each day? Is it a case of the more you say them, the better? Or can you only say the affirmations a few times, and if you have full inner conviction in them, they should produce instant results?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

antoinette wrote:
So you are saying that it would be counterproductive for a musician to attempt to analyze the physical process involved in playing (as many pedagogues insist that you must), as one should merely trust the subconscious mind to provide the means necessary for virtuosity and artistry?

In short Unconscious mind is the grand director of our body. Once you(Conscious) convey this to it, it does it with greatest accuracy just like it does everything else to make you alive. For example your immune system is taken care of by this Unconscious meticulously. If you want to correct any asthma you have, just look for cure, behind the scenes it does all to cure it, which you or even doctors can't answer it.

Here is quote from Coue's Self Mastery:
Quote:

In order to understand properly the part played by suggestion or rather by autosuggestion, it is enough to know that the Unconscious self is the grand director of all our functions. Make this believed, as I said above, that a certain organ which does not function well must perform its function, and instantly the order is transmitted. The organ obeys with docility, and either at once or little by little performs its functions in a normal manner. This explains simply and clearly how by means of suggestion one can stop hemorrhages, cure constipation, cause fibrous tumors to disappear, cure paralysis, tubercular lesions, varicose, ulcers, etc.

antoinette wrote:
Coue believed that all effort is doomed to fail?

Coue proved it, everybody saw it. We see it daily. It is not a theory!

antoinette wrote:
In that case, how would one account for many successful individuals who insist that they had to work extremely hard in order to obtain a high level of proficiency? For example, Vincent Bugliosi, the greatest American prosecutor, insisted that lots of sweat and tedious preparation is necessary to become a great lawyer.

Just believe it that whatever we've in mind, ultimately that realizes. Also thoughts can quickly change in our minds. Effort is always - working against an idea in mind. If you observe a child - he/she uses no effort. If he tired, he'll simply sit or sleep. Our society teaches is that effort is good and laudable thing.

Here is the priceless quote from Emile Coue's "Self Mastery":
Quote:

People are always preaching the doctrine of effort, but this idea must be repudiated. Effort means will, and will means the possible entrance of the imagination in opposition, and the bringing about of the exactly contrary result to the desired one.

antoinette wrote:
Also, how frequently should positive affirmations be said each day? Is it a case of the more you say them, the better? Or can you only say the affirmations a few times, and if you have full inner conviction in them, they should produce instant results?

I advise you to read Coue's Self Mastery. For specific suggestions you can read "How to Practice Autosuggestion" by Harry Brooks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 pm 

anurag wrote:
In short Unconscious mind is the grand director of our body. Once you(Conscious) convey this to it, it does it with greatest accuracy just like it does everything else to make you alive. For example your immune system is taken care of by this Unconscious meticulously. If you want to correct any asthma you have, just look for cure, behind the scenes it does all to cure it, which you or even doctors can't answer it.

I think that I understand. If you consciously decree "health" to yourself and expect a result, the body will provide you with health.

Quote:
Just believe it that whatever we've in mind, ultimately that realizes. Also thoughts can quickly change in our minds. Effort is always - working against an idea in mind. If you observe a child - he/she uses no effort. If he tired, he'll simply sit or sleep. Our society teaches is that effort is good and laudable thing.

If effort always works against us, then how do some people who exert a lot of effort manage to achieve outstanding results? Are there some people who are an exception to the rule?

Quote:

People are always preaching the doctrine of effort, but this idea must be repudiated. Effort means will, and will means the possible entrance of the imagination in opposition, and the bringing about of the exactly contrary result to the desired one.

That's a very enlightening quote. Coue seems to be preaching particularly against the use of will that contradicts the imagination. What if a person's effort and will was completely consistent with his or her imagination? In that case, could the effort simply serve to magnify the desires of the imagination?

Quote:
I advise you to read Coue's Self Masteru. For specific suggestions you can read How to Practice Autosuggestion" by Harry Brooks.

I'll have to read those books. Although I have read books that are based on Coue, I will probably gain a new level of understanding once I read the original source material.

When Coue talks about keeping our autosuggestion within the realms of physical possibility, could it be argued that playing like Horowitz is beyond the realm of physical possibility for the vast majority of people? Some people might argue that Horowitz had a much faster innate motoric system than the average person, making his technical feats physically impossible for people who lack naturally fast reflexes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 am 
Site Admin

antoinette wrote:
I think that I understand. If you consciously decree "health" to yourself and expect a result, the body will provide you with health.

Conscious should be used to decide on what one wants. For use of autosuggestion one must set aside Concious or willpower because they can cause Coue's law of "Reversed Effort".

antoinette wrote:
If effort always works against us, then how do some people who exert a lot of effort manage to achieve outstanding results? Are there some people who are an exception to the rule?

When willpower and imagination are in harmony, both are multiplied. Otherwise imagination only gains the day.
Suppose you want to go for mountaineering on a steep mountain. A day before you have numerous thoughts of going for it or not. Now if a thought of fear comes "Oh I'm frightened, I could die". Now you start using you willpower or effort to counter it - "I will go whatever happens". You try to force yourself at the same time having a negative idea which you don't know how to dislodge. So there can be numerous instances of such ideas running whole day in your mind. When your willpower/conscious is in sync with the idea you're relaxed.

antoinette wrote:
When Coue talks about keeping our autosuggestion within the realms of physical possibility, could it be argued that playing like Horowitz is beyond the realm of physical possibility for the vast majority of people? Some people might argue that Horowitz had a much faster innate motoric system than the average person, making his technical feats physically impossible for people who lack naturally fast reflexes.

Training for any such work is unavoidable. Rest is done by our Unconscious. I'm sure he'd have trained himself since childhood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:10 am 

anurag wrote:
antoinette wrote:

Conscious should be used to decide on what one wants. For use of autosuggestion one must set aside Concious or willpower because they can cause Coue's law of "Reversed Effort".

Yes. One should consciously decide that he or she wants health and wealth, and then trust the subconscious mind to provide the desired result.

Quote:
When willpower and imagination are in harmony, both are multiplied. Otherwise imagination only gains the day.

Are you saying that if willpower is in harmony with your imagination, then it is acceptable to put forth great effort and willpower toward your goal? In other words, effort and willpower would only stand in your way if they are in conflict with your imagination, but not if they are consistent with your desired goal. In Bugliosi's case, despite the fact that he engaged in a lot of arduous and tedious work, perhaps he never doubted that such work would lead to a legal masterpiece. Thus, he achieved what he wanted because his imagination was consistent with his desires, despite all of the effort that he was exerting when preparing for a trial.

Quote:
Suppose you want to go for mountaineering on a steep mountain. A day before you have numerous thoughts of going for it or not. Now if a thought of fear comes "Oh I'm frightened, I could die". Now you start using you willpower or effort to counter it - "I will go whatever happens". You try to force yourself at the same time having a negative idea which you don't know how to dislodge. So there can be numerous instances of such ideas running whole day in your mind. When your willpower/conscious is in sync with the idea you're relaxed.

I think that I can relate to that. There are actually some music pedagogues who teach that if you try too hard to achieve a certain result and have an intense fear of failure, then your efforts are often counterproductive and you probably will fail. The fear of failure stimulates an incredible amount of physical tension that makes it almost impossible to achieve what you want.

Quote:
Training for any such work is unavoidable. Rest is done by our Unconscious. I'm sure he'd have trained himself since childhood.

So you're saying that even with the subconscious mind on your side, it is still necessary for a person to undergo normal musical training? In other words, positive affirmations in and of themselves are not sufficient to produce the desired result. Those affirmations must be used in conjunction with lots and lots of practice, although that practice would be done in a relaxed (albeit highly concentrated) state of mind, as willpower and imagination would be in harmony.

Horowitz certainly had training since childhood, but is it possible that some people- even with the same training and with their willpower and imagination in harmony- could never achieve his level of proficiency, simply because they don't have his innate reflexes- making Horowitz's technique beyond the realm of physical possibility for those people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Admin

antoinette wrote:
Are you saying that if willpower is in harmony with your imagination, then it is acceptable to put forth great effort and willpower toward your goal? In other words, effort and willpower would only stand in your way if they are in conflict with your imagination, but not if they are consistent with your desired goal. In Bugliosi's case, despite the fact that he engaged in a lot of arduous and tedious work, perhaps he never doubted that such work would lead to a legal masterpiece. Thus, he achieved what he wanted because his imagination was consistent with his desires, despite all of the effort that he was exerting when preparing for a trial.

I'd like to limit my discussion for cures only. For getting cured one must not use willpower. I've already mentioned that whatever idea is in mind - that only calls all the shots, always. Using willpower in any way only makes it even stronger.

antoinette wrote:
I think that I can relate to that. There are actually some music pedagogues who teach that if you try too hard to achieve a certain result and have an intense fear of failure, then your efforts are often counterproductive and you probably will fail. The fear of failure stimulates an incredible amount of physical tension that makes it almost impossible to achieve what you want.

If you imagine failure - it only becomes true.

antoinette wrote:
So you're saying that even with the subconscious mind on your side, it is still necessary for a person to undergo normal musical training? In other words, positive affirmations in and of themselves are not sufficient to produce the desired res .......

Training is essential to master anything. To make sure that your mind and body do their best you must "imagine without effort" so. At the extreme everybody is different. Your heart may be better than mine, your immune system may react better than that of mine in case of Malaria attack and so on. But the mathematical probability that Horowitz did have those inborn qualities like (reflexes) and at the same time he did recognize and chose that as career is close to zero I think. That means he must have been a normal person like you or me but channelized his energies and mind in right direction in right way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm 

rag wrote:
I'd like to limit my discussion for cures only. For getting cured one must not use willpower.

To recover from a physical ailment, I understand that one must not use willpower. Although the Coue method obviously can do more than simply cure illnesses. It can also allow you to realize seemingly unfathomable levels of success in various aspects of life.

Quote:
I've already mentioned that whatever idea is in mind - that only calls all the shots, always. Using willpower in any way only makes it even stronger.

So you're saying that if a positive idea resides in your mind (e.g. one of great success in a certain career), then that idea can be multiplied by employing willpower and efficient practice at that career.

Quote:
Training is essential to master anything. To make sure that your mind and body do their best you must "imagine without effort" so. At the extreme everybody is different. Your heart may be better than mine, your immune system may react better than that of mine in case of Malaria attack and so on. But the mathematical probability that Horowitz did have those inborn qualities like (reflexes) and at the same time he did recognize and chose that as career is close to zero I think. That means he must have been a normal person like you or me but channelized his energies and mind in right direction in right way.

I see what you're saying. Positive thinking is not a substitute for practice, but it will make your practicing much more efficient and productive. Although different people may have different inherent motoric systems, as long as one's hands are normal, then it is quite plausible that- through practice and visualization- a person can develop his or her motoric system to a supreme degree. If reflexes are functional, the the power of the subconscious mind can train them to be much more functional. The only instance where great piano playing might be physically impossible is if a person didn't have any hands. Even if a person had a neurological disorder (e.g. muscles that do not properly respond to the brain's signals), that person should be able to cure the ailment through Coue's method.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Admin

You've got it right all the way. There is nothing more do I need to write.

antoinette wrote:
Even if a person had a neurological disorder (e.g. muscles that do not properly respond to the brain's signals), that person should be able to cure the ailment through Coue's method.

Coue's method is impossible to fail unless somebody falls in the following categories:
  • One does not want to learn Coue's method
  • One is not able to concentrate on what Coue is saying ( or whoever is explaining)
  • One who does not have a conscious brain or can't hear/respond

In short if one is able to understand Coue's method, then he/she will not fail to cure( partially or fully).